OVERALL TIME: 30 minutes: This easy, homemade breakfast pizza is created with bacon, eggs, tomatoes, spinach, and cheese, made totally from scratch and ready in less than 30 minutes start to finish!
WHAT IS BREAKFAST PIZZA?
It’s essentially a pizza topped with everything you would like on your breakfast sandwich– the topping mixtures are endless! I used bacon, tomatoes, and mozzarella, but it’s also great with ham, sausage, or make it meatless and just add more veggies like bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, etc. Feel free to play around with various cheese combinations. The egg yolks are pretty firm, if you want them runny I recommend baking the crust a few minutes ahead before adding the egg. Or if you like scrambled eggs, cook them on the stove first right before adding to the dough.
- 1 cup (5 oz) all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (not regular), drained.
- handful baby spinach.
- 2 oz (1/2 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese.
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced up.
- 4 large eggs.
- 2 strips cooked center cut bacon, diced.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450F. Place a silicone liner on a large baking sheet or spray with oil when using parchment.
- Inside a medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well.
- Add in the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a couple of times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 20 turns
(it should not leave the dough on your hand when you pull away).
- Split into 4 equal balls of 3-3/8 oz each.
- Sprinkle a work surface area and rolling pin with a little flour roll the dough out into slim ovals 7 to 8 inches in diameter and put on the prepared baking sheet.
- Top with green spinach, mozzarella, and tomatoes, keeping the middle open for the egg.
- Gently crack an egg the center of each dough and finish with bacon.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until the crust, is golden and the egg is set. Season with salt and pepper.
TIPS FOR MAKING BREAKFAST PIZZA.
- Use a Silpat or parchment paper sprayed with oil to prevent them from sticking to the baking sheet.
- Greek yogurt instead of the plain is a MUST or your dough will be too sticky if there’s any liquid in the yogurt be certain to drain it.
- If your dough is sticky add additional flour or use less yogurt.
- To make them with self-rising flour omit the salt and baking powder.
- You can make this pizza dough recipe ahead and wrap it in plastic, and keep refrigerated for 3 to 4 days. Be sure to let it get back to room temperature just before baking or the crust will blow up like a balloon.